Permitted Development Rights
Many councils allow permitted development rights for extensions under what is called, yes you guessed it: permitted development, meaning you do not need to seek Planning Permission. This means you’re allowed to extend your home within the permitted rules such as size, height and distance from the boundary of your land whether that be a house extension or a loft conversion. They derive from a general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament. Bear in mind that the permitted development rights which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings. Similarly, commercial properties have different permitted development rights to dwellings. In some areas of the country, known generally as ‘designated areas’, permitted development rights are more restricted. For example, if you live in:
- a Conservation Area
- a National Park
- an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- a World Heritage Site or
- the Norfolk or Suffolk Broads,
you will need to apply for planning permission for certain types of work which do not need an application in other areas. There are also different requirements if the property is a listed building.
a free consultation
- We offer a full in-house service from planning applications and detailed drawings to a full structural design.
- At Inspired Plans, we have gained extensive experience on a variety of projects from small extensions to large housing schemes. We can work on any project including internal remodelling and house renovations to basement construction.
- We provide high quality design and innovative solutions offering many options after the first 1 on 1 meeting.
- Architectural Services by Inspired Plans provides practical advice and inspiring ideas using our expertise in space planning.
Other Frequently Asked Questions:
What does it cost to Submit Planning applications? Submit Planning and find out more about planning applications. Planning application fees are set nationally by the government with Building Regulations fees set by each individual Local Authority. Because of this, we...
Building Regulations Approval & Planning Permission - The Difference Planning decisions determines whether or not a proposed development or change of use can go ahead based on overall size, aesthetics and its effect on the surrounding area. This is decided by your...
Architect Services and Whether or Not I Need Them. When considering architect services there really are a lot of niches to choose from. Our Architects and Architectural Technologists can help with everything from initial design drawings to build ready drawings ready...